If you are a fan of our Sean Minor Carneros Pinot Noir, you may be wondering where it has gone. You will now find the 2013 vintage has transitioned to Sonoma Coast on the label, but rest assured the same Carneros fruit has been blended with excellent fruit from the Russian River Valley creating a beautiful Pinot Noir.
Our mission at Sean Minor Wines has always been to produce appellation-focused wines that represent an extreme value to our consumers, accounts and wholesalers. We strive to exceed expectations with the quality of our wines, and the transition of appellation on the Sean Minor Pinot Noir was a decision we feel confident meets this goal.
We’ve so far submitted the wine to three wine competitions and it has brought home a Double Gold Medal at each one. After so many years in the industry, and many vintages of wines produced and submitted for tastings at competitions, I can tell you this is pretty unheard of. Why? Tasting wine is subjective and every wine competition has a different panel of expert judges, each with different individual palates and tastes!
As a result, we often see the same wine and vintage bring home gold at one competition, silver at another, and bronze at yet another. So, to go three for three on Double Golds is a true honor for us! The 2013 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir was awarded Double Gold Medals in the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, California State Fair Wine Competition (along with a Best of Class of Sonoma award), and San Francisco Internation Wine Competition.
With approximately 6,000 vineyard acres planted in Carneros, of which only part is Pinot Noir, we are limited in our opportunity to source more quality fruit from Carneros thus reducing our ability to improve quality and quantity as demand for this wine has increased. Sonoma Coast provides additional sourcing in some of the best AVA's in California for premium Pinot Noir.
Stretching from the Mendocino county line in the north to San Pablo Bay in the south, acclaimed areas such as Russian River, Sonoma Carneros, Chalk Hill, and Green Valley AVA make up the region’s notable diversity. Read more on Sonoma Coast AVA.
Wine writer Robert M. Parker, Jr. describes the Sonoma Coast AVA as the region "...where world class Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are being made that are every bit as complex and complete as the greatest wines of France."
• Established in 1987, the Sonoma Coast AVA consists of over 13,000 acres planted to Pinot Noir, stretching from Mendocino county line in the north to San Pablo Bay in the south. Acclaimed areas as Russian River, Chalk Hill, Sonoma Carneros, and Green Valley AVA make up the region’s notable diversity.
• The potential of the Sonoma Coast to produce wines of exceptional complexity, expressing their true varietal and terroir characteristics is extremely rewarding.
• Direct, daily influence from the Pacific Ocean defines the Sonoma Coast appellation. Many of the AVA’s vineyards are planted high on ridges just a few miles inland.
• The vineyards lie above the fog that moves in to blanket lower elevations in the afternoon, producing idyllic growing conditions.
• Multitudes of Microclimates exist within the Sonoma Coast AVA offering a diverse choice of high quality vineyard sites.
• Cool conditions and relatively high rainfall are the general ecological features shared by all vineyards within the Sonoma Coast AVA. These factors contribute to slow grape maturation with optimum phenolic ripeness, coinciding with the very end of the growing season, generating Pinot Noir perfection.
We are confident in our decision to produce an even higher quality Pinot Noir, and we hope you will try the Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2013!
- Food (11)
- Events (16)
- Reviews (27)
- Sean Minor (2)
- H Mynors (1)
- Four Bears (0)
- Point North (1)
- Wine (16)
- Wine Pairing (7)
- Wine Accessories (5)
- Notes from the Road (23)
- Wine Humor (2)
- Friends of the Family (2)
- Family (7)
- Wines for any Holiday (1)
- Holidays (3)
- Valentine's Day (1)
- Christmas (4)
- Easter (1)
- 4th of July (1)
- Thanksgiving (4)
- World Cup of Wine (4)
- New Releases (2)
From The Blog
Shipping & Returns
FLAT RATE SHIPPING
Wine and Heat Don’t Mix! *Standard Ground Shipping is not offered during the summer months. We use GSO (California only), UPS and FedEx. Summer shipping - 2Day and Overnight only (May-Oct). For more information see details at http://www.seanminorwines.com/shipping-and-returns